What is your most (Girl) Powerful trait?
If I’m afraid of doing something, I go out and do it. Once I’ve done it, I’m no longer afraid. The powerful thing is face your fear. It’s amazing how tiny those great big fearsome mountains are once you’re standing on top.
What has been your favorite moment as a female leader who lifts other women up?
Years ago, I asked one of my podcast guests, Mary, how I could help her and there was dead silence. Finally I said, “Are you still there?” And Mary said in a very small voice, “You want to help me?” Of course I did, and said, “Yes. How can I help you—promote your work, or whatever you need.”
That conversation, and the fact that at that time women seldom supported one another was the reason WomenConnect4Good was founded with the mission of women supporting women.
What are three ways women can support each other professionally?
- Ask, “How can I help you?”
- Ask for help yourself. Don’t try to do it all yourself. Women are great collaborators and problem solvers. I’ve seen five women in a room tackle the biggest issue and come out with a workable solution and plan—five women in a room can do anything.
- Don’t assume another woman got where she is without hard work. Our path is always full of obstacles. We learn by overcoming them and we grow through the process. Every strong, powerful woman has a story of how she got where she is and it’s never easy.
What are three tips to stay supportive to others during a crisis?
I used to be a crisis responder. I was in NYC after 9/11, and in California after forest fires and I’m always amazed at how crisis brings out the best in people.
- Focus on what you have, not what you don’t have. People in the fires lost their homes, but still had their loved ones.
- Be grateful. Gratitude will make you strong and give you hope for tomorrow.
- The best way to forget your own problems is to help someone else. Look around you. There’s always someone who needs something you can give.
The most abundant gifts are those you give to others. They are far more rewarding and provide the most cherished moments in life.